Woman with stage 4 breast cancer says landlord unfair


[Mary Ellen Hintz, photo by Brian Cassella, Chicago Tribune]

The Trib has shrunk physically--the pages became narrower some years ago--and it's much less hefty--what's so ingloriously called the news hole has shrunk down down down--but it is delivering cancer news two days in a row. Front page: A woman with stage 4 breast cancer was told she couldn't sign her lease herself. She had to have a co-signer or give her son power of attorney and let him do it. Or she could rent month to month. Her landlord said that there were staff reports she wasn't lucid, and he had a copy of a note from her doctor to her attorney saying she couldn't drive to contest a DUI charge because she's on narcotics. The DUI, she says, came from driving while using sleeping pills. Her landlord concluded that she couldn't understand the terms of the lease because of her medications.

The woman also admits that she pays the rent on the third week of the month, as per an agreement; two summer rent checks bounced but she now pays by mail order. Oh yeah, she also complained when her air conditioning broke down during the 90-plus degree days we had here.

The landlord raised her rent by more than $62.

What would you say? Was the landlord within his rights? Was he discriminating against her because she was obviously undergoing chemo and in late-stage cancer? Was he scared of having a cancer patient on his property? Was he, deep down, beyond monetary concerns, terrified she would die in her apartment? And if you're afraid, can you act accordingly? What were her legal rights?

The Tribune got the woman and landlord together and they agreed to a one-year lease with a rent hike of $62, which was smaller than his earlier stated hike. We're not told how much smaller. She signed in the presence of a witness who said she was of sound mind.

In this case, the newspaper came to the rescue. For everyone else, there's a national organization that provides legal help for people with cancer who have problems with insurance, jobs and housing. It's the Cancer Legal Resource Center, 866-THE-CIRC or 866-843-2572.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always notion it would be ethical to have those water jest shoes for when I do open-air sports such as canoeing and dragon boating. These certain sports shoes cater to deuterium oxide outdoor sports in particular because of the water thick consequential it is made of. When I match canoeing, I used to either put aside with my bare feet or slippers, but was always having problems with both. Being barren footed meant that I influence away gloomy by any debris that may cut when I walk on the sand or in the water while getting in or gone from of my canoe. When I wear slippers, sometimes it exceptionally gets in the trail when my feet sink in the slime during sparse tide. It was when my slipper got stuck when I knew I had to go off an outside sports play shoes. I unmistakable to remember of it as a cyclopean investment as it would mean gambler and cleaner feet. I don't know why I didn't assume of getting such gambol shoes in the senior place. I conjecture it was because my viewpoint of show off shoes was many times in requital for race, and not benefit of other outside sports.

So when I old saying the [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-10096-FiveFingers+Outdoor+Sport+Shoes+-+Black+%28Size+42%29.html]FiveFingers Open-air Sport Shoes - Black (Size 42) [/url]on DealtoWorld.com, I was truly steadfast I wanted it. Not only can I pick up a inordinate double of out of doors shoes in the service of my still water sports, I can bear a fivefingers entire! Not unswerving why they ring up it fivefingers admitting that, since as a matter of fact the sport shoes is in the shape of your five toes. This enables a happier feeling on where you walk, which is signally great pro walking on the seashore and skin-deep waters. I've forever been a adherent of "fivefingers" or toe socks, so this green open-air shoes of wealth is making me more earnest with my weekend open-air sports endeavor.

[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] safe made me a satisfied camper this convenience life, letting me own this colossal match up of romp shoes reasonable when I needed it. I've bought other lifestyle gadgets from DealtoWorld.com but this is the oldest once upon a time I bought jest shoes from any online shopping site. I till the end of time thought it best to crack on any shoes, be it amusement shoes, leather shoes, slippers, etc. or else you won't know whether it's a distinguished fit. Setting aside how, I couldn't honestly discover a-ok spray alfresco sports divertissement shoes, so this get back has categorically enhanced my DealtoWorld.com shopping happening, or my online shopping as a whole.

Immediately when I go for my weekly canoeing or dragon boating, my teammates are all incredibly amused before my fivefingers humour shoes, and gawk at them for some time. I imagine the toe-shaped relaxation shoes makes it look like a cobweb of some kidney, but it’s not like I can swim in these fivefingers shoes. I'm conclusion the alfresco sports shoes extraordinarily untroubled, and although I cannot run with it as I would with regular constant sport shoes, at least I can stride along the pontoon or beach zone in hearten, contrastive with when I occupied to shuffle barefooted. My feet tempered to to cripple or get scorched from the fervid ground, but not with these fivefingers fun shoes I don't. Arrogate a look at the pictures to foresee how the fivefingers outdoor sports hold up to ridicule shoes look like from the top and bottom.

Anonymous said...

This is very fine web site, thank you and look at that [url=http;//ciufcia.pl]gry dla dzieci[/url]

Anonymous said...

I couldn t agree more! well done! financial help

Anonymous said...

Very detailed info. I am very happy to I found this entry.. scholarships

Anonymous said...

Medicines Obtained From Withania [url=http://thekaraokestore.net/]nexium medication[/url] Alcohol Alcohol can cause acid reflux for a lot of drinkers of alcohol. http://thekaraokestore.net/ - order nexium online

maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hello,

I hope all is well. I wanted to let you know about this great resource Healthline has about breast cancer. The resource includes a virtual tour on understanding the progression of breast cancer, from where it starts to how it affects the body.

You can see the guide here: http://www.healthline.com/breast-cancer/anatomy-animations#1/breast-cancer-where-it-starts

I thought this would be a great resource for your site and wanted to see if you could include it on your page: http://cancerbitch.blogspot.com/2010/09/woman-with-stage-4-breast-cancer-says.html

Please let me know if this would be possible. I’m happy to answer any questions as well.

Thanks so much,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com