Orchids/mice


First, the mice, since I'm a bit late on reporting this. You may have already heard about this: immunologists at the Cleveland Clinic have come up with a prototype vaccine that inhibits growth of and prevents breast cancer tumors in mice. So far the FDA has approved two cancer vaccines--both against viruses. This one targets an antigen. Human trials could begin next year. Would you volunteer for such a trial? I'm not sure whether I would. The study is in the journal Nature Medicine. You have to subscribe to access the whole article, but you can find the abstract here.

Second, orchids. Today was the 15th anniversary of my meeting L. We went to a fundraiser for Growing Home tonight at the Cultural Center, which is a gorgeous white marble and mosaic building that the first Mayor Daley wanted to tear down. His wife saved it. L brought me a stem of white orchids and a raft of barrettes. The barrettes were to hold the orchids in my hair. I managed to attach six blossoms. This was uncharacteristically romantic for L. Usually he goes for more practical gifts, like jumper cables and L.L. Bean shirts.

I didn't get him anything. He said it was OK. The centerpieces of the dinner tables were bricks and little squares of dirt with sprouts growing out of them. We took some bricks home because we use them to wall off our trees and plants from neighborhood dogs. We have become great brick scavengers, which is nice because L was never an alley picker like I am.

Growing Home trains homeless people to work on organic farms. What could be better?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to post this on your blog but I could not find a place to email you.

I am a 2 time cancer survivor. I have set up a charity, called "Hair 4 You" to provide kids/teens with wigs due to medical hair loss. Please keep reading, I am NOT asking for money! I am currently in the running for the Pepsi Refresh Challenge to win $25,000 to get my charity off the ground and become an official non-profit 501(3)c.

The top ten organizations win money at the end of the money and in the past week I have moved up over 90 spots but am still not in contention to win. Voting is absolutely free and requires a simple email address and password. I am wondering if you can do anything to help me spread the word and earn more votes. As well as earning more votes, I'd like to get the charity out there so I can start helping people once we hopefully receive money.

In return, I'd love to mention your website on our facebook page and future website/t-shirts we plan to create if we have the money to do so. This is a organization I am very passionate about and that I think may help many of your readers. Please let me know if there's anything you can do! Thanks so much for your consideration!

Becca
Voting Site: http://www.refresheverything.com/hair4you
On facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hair-4-You/409492910995?ref=search

Anonymous said...

Please comment on our facebook group "Hair 4 You" a way to contact you if you'd be interested. Thank you!